Sunday 26 April 2015

Passageway in Oslo

Several years ago I lived behind this building, but oddly never noticed this passage leading from the street to the inner courtyard until I passed through the old neighbourhood recently. There's no real reason why I should have noticed it before, but at this particular time the light was rather interesting and I was struck by the way the brightness of the courtyard contrasted with and reflected against the darkness of the passage with its many textures. The low wooden buildings that can be seen probably once housed outdoor toilets because these were common in this part of town; now they are more likely to be sheds or storerooms. I liked the way the arches created a sort of oval of light and made this the centre of the picture, drawing us in. I would have rendered it in black and white, but the effect of the thin band of gold on the innermost arch is rather nice. Location: Oslo, Norway

No comments:

Post a Comment