Thursday 23 April 2015

"He was not of an age, but for all time..."

It's William Shakespeare's 451st birthday today, so it is fitting that today's picture celebrates him. I took the picture around Christmas, when there was a fairground in Leicester Square where this statue stands. The coloured lights of the fair and on the trees seemed to my mind to frame the statue in a celebratory way. I am sure many who pass by on a daily basis never look up and read or think about the meaningful quote – "There is no darkness but ignorance" (from Act IV of Twelfth Night), but I think they should. Any number of other Shakespeare quotes could, of course, be placed here too; we all have our favourites. The one that forms the title of this entry though is not by Shakespeare, but about him – written by his friend Ben Jonson in the preface to the collected plays of the bard, published after his death. It is a fine tribute and, I think, a very true one. Certainly he lives on for me and continues to fascinate, inspire, uplift, express and surprise through his words, characters, poetry and creativity. Happy birthday, Sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment