Sunday 29 December 2013

Seeing Faces

We humnas are wired to recognize and respond to facial features and this kicks in as soon as we are born. Of course we don't usually think about this, but it's one of the reasons we connect not only to other humans, but to animals, teddy-bears etc. –and can laugh so much at grumpy-looking cats. Taken further we "facialize" almost everything we see, subconsciously mostly but sometimes more creatively. Well.. at least I do! Unlike some, I have yet to see the face of Jesus or Justin Bieber in my toast, but I frequently come across things that resemble more generic faces and usually find them quite delightful. Like this post box in Germany which looks a little like a large, motionless toad. It seems to be very content, as if having a nap after a big meal; its eyes closed. When I look again I find it reminds me of a teacher I once had who wore the same unruffled expression. If you look around you right now I am sure you will be able to spot faces in things in your own surroundings, wherever you are -you only need to use your imagination; and that's not a bad thing to exercise! Location: Berlin, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment