Friday 8 September 2017

Evening in Miami

Like many people, I have been following with concern the trail of havoc caused by Hurricane Irma as it pushes through the Caribbean, and heads towards mainland USA. And having in the past spent many happy days in Florida, I'm thinking about places I have visited there, people I have met, and the dreadful helplessness of battling such a fearsome storm, knowing that it is on its way. I remember seeing the after-effects of that previous huge hurricane that bears my name, but I keep my fingers crossed that this storm may change direction, and that any damage anywhere be minimal. Yet as I write, Miami seems to be directly in its path, including even more exposed Miami Beach, and much of the city is being evacuated and boarded up. I've seen temperamental weather conditions there myself; sometimes they can even be exciting. But this is something else. Here, however, I'm posting a picture of the Miami I like to return to in my thoughts: of warm evenings at sunset, with mad but mellow colours spilling over the familiar beloved architecture of South Beach, palm trees standing languidly in repose, peace and yet a thrilling vibrancy. The air sweet and soft, with the day's heat lingering but without the harshness The evening is just starting, but this is the best time. And I hope I shall be able to experience many such moments here again. Location: Miami Beach, Florida, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment