Friday 1 September 2017

Dublin Street

Whenever I used to imagine what Dublin was like, I conjured up in my mind a picture of narrow, cobble-stoned streets with quaint old lamp posts and bicycles –and always in black and white. Perhaps this image came to me from some painting I'd once seen, or (more probably) some book I'd read; maybe I'd been influenced by an old film. When I finally got to visit Dublin, I was delighted to find parts of it that corresponded totally with those pictures in my mind. Dublin is, of course, a lot more besides and a city of myriad views, but I was drawn to streets like this as a moth is drawn to a lamp. And talking of lamps, what is it about old lampposts that fill streets with dignity and character where modern ones merely seem to be a necessary eyesore! The only thing missing here is people –this was early on a quiet morning; the kind of quiet morning that is the inevitable tailpiece to a lively Dublin evening –is there any other kind?! Location: Dublin, Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment