Wednesday 20 September 2017

Dom

Berlin is one of my favourite cities both to visit and to photograph. And, without quite knowing why, I have always felt the city looks best on pictures when the sky is bedecked with cloud. Perhaps it's an emotional reflection of the city's dramatic history, perhaps the relative flatness of the terrain is better served against a backdrop of ever-shifting cloud; perhaps it's to do with light. Probably it's a mixture of all three. Don't get me wrong, I love blue, clear skies (anywhere), but my photographic genes are always doubly excited or activated when I see turbulent cloud formations in the sky –and, especially in Berlin. Here, the sky is vivacious but not at all threatening –there had been drops of rain before and more were to follow, but these showers was light. Somewhere behind the clouds the sun was trying to poke through, but its bright light is gently subdued and disseminated –illuminating the facade of the Berlin Dom quite splendidly and vibrantly without harshness. The camera I was using had a bit of a lens issue which has caused the left side of the picture to be a little blurry, but I liked the rest of the picture so much that I've overlooked this deficiency. I wanted to capture the magnificence of the cathedral without it appearing too domineering or even oppressive (which can often be the result when photographing such buildings). Therefore I've taken the picture from a low angle but at some distance, capturing both the building itself but more importantly its setting in the city and against the lovely, moody Berlin sky. Location: Berlin, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment