Wednesday 11 January 2017

Another Lane with a Twist

This is a recent photograph that I am particularly proud of, for it not only captures exactly the mood and atmosphere of a particular place at a particular moment, but I found all the elements of light, composition and theme came together to create an image that is both pleasing, interesting and a little enigmatic. I took it early on a slightly misty morning in the small Norfolk town where I grew up. As a child, I passed up and down this lane hundreds of times, and always felt at this particular spot that I was in a kind of tunnel due to the overhanging trees. Perhaps there were more trees back then, and the houses in the background were certainly not there. Even earlier, a train line crossed where the metal fence now stands, but this was ripped up long ago. Now, all is quiet. What I really like about the shot is the bend in the path, the little twist. It makes the lane so much more interesting -just as life itself sometimes brings along little twists that need to be negotiated. Our path is seldom straight, but it keeps on going. I also like the textures of the various fences and the general "greenness" of the image. In spring and summer this lane will be lush and verdant, but on this particular (English) winter's day it has a special hue of its own. Location: Dereham, England

No comments:

Post a Comment