Tuesday 17 January 2017

Way to Nashville

I'm always curiously more attracted by buildings that are decayed than shining, new constructions. perhaps it's because they inevitably have more of a story to tell, having a connection to the past that may suggest ups and downs, a piece of history or dreams once realised but now passed on, or left to smoulder away. And there's something strangely beautiful and poignant about crumbling walls, faded signs and dusty windows. At least that's how I see it. These particular buildings -which I photographed from a train that kindly slowed down at this particular point on its long journey to Chicago- are not really all that decrepit, not yet; but they are heading that way; for all I know they may now have been pulled down, or rehabilitated, but I was eager to capture them at this moment. I've rendered the picture in a slightly dirty sepia bordering on faded monochrome because I have been an avid devotee of many of history's great photographic journeymen and then capturing of out-of-the way America; many of them in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. It's their influence that informs this picture, and though I am far less skilled than them, through devouring their work a little of their spirit has worn off on me! Location: Tennessee, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment