Saturday 19 December 2015

Favourite Pictures of the Year - 4

Earlier this year I had to misfortune to get stuck in the middle of Germany’s biggest ever rail strike, which started one day after I arrived in that country precisely to travel about by rail for a few weeks. Needless to say it was a highly frustrating time; but there was something rather fascinating about seeing normally busy stations deadly quiet all day –everything was open, tickets could be bought etc. but there were no people about –and of course no trains (apart very occasionally). I was struck by the emptiness of the stations, the unsettling views of bare platforms and unoccupied tracks, yet at the same time fascinated too. Such places have a strange allure when they are empty and still and I tried to capture some of it here, and took numerous pictures this and other empty stations. It certainly helped me pass the time while I was stuck. Location: Lübeck, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment