Thursday 6 February 2014

Sunbathing Alligator

We had been out on the bayou for quite some time on a slow-moving, low-draughted river boat. The water was slugish and covered with green..something or other, so that traversing it was like sliding across a strange lawn. There were numerous logs floating about, and every time a new one appeared someone would shout "Alligator!" and we would all look down excitedly, only to be fooled again, though sometimes the distinction was none too clear. But then, just as the sun came out properly, I caught sight of the real thing – marvellously "louche" and spread over a fallen tree trunk. I was captivated because it was the first alligator I had seen in the wild. He (or maybe she) eyed us with mild disinterest while I busily took my pictures. I saw several other alligators that day, but none seemed so relaxed or commanding than this one. I was later told that it was just a young one... Location: Louisiana, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment