Tuesday 11 February 2014

Portland Facade

I have always loved photographs of provincial America, especially those of the 1920s to 1940s. They so often feature iconic labels, mostly of cigarettes or soft drinks, that give them both a contemporary placing and a timeless flavour. I think I was trying to emulate such pictures when I took this one close to the quayside in Portland, Maine. I was fascinated by the brightly painted wooden facades that managed to look both new and old at the same time. And the Coca Cola sign was almost too good to be true, with its smears of running rust. Ideally there should have been an old sea dog sitting on the wooden sidewalk, but this was too cold a day even for the staunchest sailor. My camera was playing up because of the cold, so it's rather too blurred for my liking, but I am in a nostalgic mood, and so posting it anyway. Location: Portland, Maine

No comments:

Post a Comment