Wednesday 24 July 2013

Alleyway...

I am currently re-watching some of the classic Sherlock Holmes movies from the 1930s and 40s, and am fascinated how so much the atmosphere is created with contrasts of light and shadow in constructed studio sets that evoke a London of fog, mystery and suspense. Though I took this picture in the daytime it nevertheless conjures up for me something of that mystique –I can easily imagine placing Sherlock Holmes himself in this alley, striding along with his trusty companion, Doctor Watson. I was particularly pleased with the total blackness of the top of the picture, which makes the sunlight beyond so inviting. I also liked quite well the way the texture of the stone came out. If I had had a fog machine under my arm I think I could have even recreated something of Conan Doyle's London too! Location: London, England

No comments:

Post a Comment