Monday 23 April 2018

World Book Day



It's World Book Day, so I thought it would be appropriate to share a picture that features books. This little collection is on display at a used-books shop in Heidelberg, so all the titles are in German. You might care to try guessing at some of their original titles if you've got time on your hands. Collections of anything that are similar yet unique are always pleasing motives, and part of the pleasure of collecting books is having them on display; unlike many other items, books are seldom untidy or "cluttered". The only thing that annoys me about these particular books is that the titles on the spines are printed "the wrong way" ie, in the opposite direction to what is generally normal. You'll occasionally get books like this and they exasperate me as I never know whether to have them upside down in my shelf so that the spine is commensurate with all the others, or to have the face the right way up, thus causing an anomaly in the row! But, as I have used up all my shelf space long ago and books are now piled up in stacks all over my flat, the problem is largely academic and books that are "the wrong way round" get banished to less conspicuous corners. However, the important thing is really the content, and books of all kinds continue to thrill, entertain, educate and inspire me. And I hope they do the same to you. Happy World Book Day!

Location: Heidelberg, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment