Monday 22 September 2014

Posters

Whenever I look at old, often black-and-white, pictures from German cities the one thing that seems almost always to be present is the round "poster column". They were not designed to be that, of course; their real function has always been something of a mystery to me though I understand it has something to do with electricity or gas or air. I am more attracted to the decoration –an endless series of posters, pasted on top of each other, capturing moments of cultural or political history, placing any photograph for ever in a particular time like an insect in amber. The nearby buildings, trees, roads, even vehicles change much, much slower by comparison. There is nothing special about anything that is advertised on this column, and nowadays they can be seen in many other countries too, but I just wanted to capture an example of this, for me, most German piece of street furniture. Ideally, a series over many years would be fascinating. Location: Trier, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment