Sunday 7 September 2014

Book Sharing



I love books –not just for their content or for the experience of reading, but for the excitement and potential of their physical presence. Libraries and bookshops fill me with a sense of adventure, and I have, at present, 38 books on my bedside table! Part of the attraction of books is there communality -they can be shared and enjoyed again and again, by countless people. Therefore schemes such as the one pictured, where a corner of a park in Germany has its own enclosed bookcase, really meet my approval. People can take or leave a book, read in the park or take it away, and the selection of titles is as random and arbitrary as the people who pass by. I wish there were lots more places like this –some hotels, guest houses and cafés have similar schemes, but wouldn't it be marvellous if every corner of every street had such a bookcase! At least for people like me!

Location: Augsburg, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment