Tuesday 25 March 2014

Hastings Pier

The pier in Hastings was severely damaged by a fire in 2010, and the remains stand forlornly in the water, waiting to be rejuvenated –which happily will be soon. I find there is a kind of beauty in most if not any ruins, but also sadness, and I was trying to capture that here. The picture was taken across a pool on the promenade, which created a rather surreal effect with the sea beyond; "bridged" by the railings and the wall of the pool. I wanted initially there to be no people in the picture as I was going for simplicity, but people were constantly walking by, cluttering the shot. However, I loved the little vignette of the father and his little girl, and especially the splash of bright colour that her jacket gives. I didn't register the plane flying high over the pier, but was quite excited when I saw it on the finished picture –a discreet counter-balance to the two people. Location: Hastings, England

No comments:

Post a Comment