Sunday 19 January 2014

Out of Season Pier

The end of pier show is a very British summer tradition, attracting holidaymakers to an evening's light entertainment that can often be a very mixed bag. Variety is the key word, and comedy is key. Out of season, both piers and the seaside towns themselves are unsurprisngly empty, but I am very much attracted to them at such times as they are wonderful backdrops for photographs. I am in the process of working my way around the British Isles to visit many of these seaside towns, always out of season, –though I have no rush whatsoever and expect it will take me many years as I usually only manage one or two such places a year. One favourite such seaside town is Great Yarmouth on the Norfolk coast. It has lost some of its former sheen and edge, but still has plenty to delight. Here is the entrance to the Britannia Pier which stretches out behind this colourful facade promoting coming attractions. I liked the brightness of the orange –a very "summery" colour against the moody winter clouds and the clean sharp lines. And I also liked the emptiness –this is a square that cries out for people, but there is no one about.. Location: Great Yarmouth, England

No comments:

Post a Comment