Wednesday 21 March 2018

Perfect Little House in the Snow



Winter is slowly coming to an end, at last, and everyone seems impatient to greet spring, briskly, before getting on to the business of summer. I have taken more pictures of snowy landscapes, snowmen, blizzards, snowstorms and icy streets this year than I care to count and I too long for the bright colours of a new season. But like nature itself, I can't quite let winter go yet, for snow undeniably makes things very pretty and peaceful (at least to start with) and is a great reflector of light. This is a picture that I find particularly pleasing in composition and tone. The house is a small out-building on the grounds of the Oslo Museum in the park near where I live. I'm unsure whether anyone lives in it, but I would be happy to do so. I find, both the house and the picture gives associations to Hollywood sets of the 1930s and 40s, where snow is unreal but looks perfect and all features are skilful products of succinct art direction.I love the fence and the way its slats are shadowed on the virgin snow, creating interesting patterns. The sky is also lively, the clouds tempering the bright sun somewhat and making for a more interesting picture. The house itself seems content, at rest. With this photograph, I conclude my "winter" pictures for this year; with Summer Time officially starting this weekend with the clocks going forward, I promise something warmer next time!

Location: Oslo, Norway

No comments:

Post a Comment