Tuesday 4 July 2017

Beside the Sea

This is one of a series of photographs I took when I visited Deal in Kent last September, another stop on my quest to photograph 100 coastal towns around Great Britain. I had not visited it for many years, but it is where the English side of my family comes from and I spent quite a lot of time there as a child. In front us is the English Channel, and to the left can be seen the end of the pier. But it is the simple imperfect beauty of the telephone box along with the ornate streetlights that form the real subject of the picture. There is something odd about the telephone box's location, and of course its stance, but its iconic bright red form is somehow reassuring and optimistic, and the continuation of the red with the flowerbed backed by the white wall and above that the blue water forms a gentle manifestation of the French flag (on its side) –which is appropriate because France itself is right there on the horizon. I like the clean simplicity and becalming quality of the whole image. No cars, no people, blue sky. Location, Deal, England

No comments:

Post a Comment