Monday 24 April 2017

A Bit of Red and Hopper

Edward Hopper (who incidentally died one day day before I was born) created numerable enduring and iconic images of America with his paintings and I have long been a great admirer of his work. Many of his paintings show single individual figures, captured in a moment's isolated loneliness in an urban setting. Yet other picture celebrate the urban settings themselves, and his particular mix of simplicity and emotional poetry in colour has very much influenced the way I often see things like streets and buildings, especially when in America. I suppose you could say this photograph is a kind of homage to Hooper –the clean simplicity is there, and the bold colour; perhaps the loneliness too, though to have been truly "Hopperian" I wish there had been someone leaning against the red wall enjoying a cigarette. Aside from the striking red walls, I like the low buildings themselves and the sprawl of telephone wires above creating a sort of jungle-like canopy. The telephone pole itself is almost exactly dead centre, which as a motive is something one should be a bit wary of in a photograph, but I think it works, not dominating the picture too much thanks to the brightness of those two red walls. The windows are interesting too. Location: Hollywood, Ca., USA

No comments:

Post a Comment