Sunday 26 March 2017

Beneath Westminster Bridge

The terrible events of last week that brought terror to the very heart of London shocked and upset me enormously, as I am sure they did many others. Sadly, similar occurrences and far worse take place all over the world on occasion, and seemingly more so these days tan before, but it is always particularly hard when the place that is struck is close to one's heart. London is my favourite city, its streets are my cherished haunts, and as an inveterate walker I feel I know every corner and feel a personal bond with the history and culture inherent in every cobblestone –which is perhaps odd as I have never lived in London, merely returned to it again and again like an old friend; and it never disappoints. But it hurts when bad things occur there. When these things occur in places my own footsteps have crossed it hurts even more. Westminster Bridge is one such place.I photographed it from many angles a couple of years ago, but this shot taken from below is my favourite because it shows the two "states" of any bridge –that of the world above and that of the world below. The graceful sweep of one of its archways is at the same time impressive and friendly, it doesn't swell over and dominate you completely like many other bridges. Above,on the pavement, people walk by; some look over the side, others are occupied with their telephone. I imagine the scene was much like this before the crazed motorist screeched onto the pavement and mowed down innocent pedestrians last week. Though the bridge itself remains essentially the same, the scars from last week's events will sadly give it a new kind of significance every time I am close to it. Like so many other places. Location: London, England

No comments:

Post a Comment