Tuesday 30 December 2014

Underpass in Berlin

Nothing to do with Christmas or winter or snow this time, apart from the fact that the holiday period has been a good time to sort through pictures taken earlier in the year and get them in some kind of order. This one is from the summer, taken on my last day in Berlin – a city filled with more stories than most and one I return to as often as I can. It's taken from the east side of the Spree, with the magnificent Bode museum on the island on the other side. What intrigued me here was the way the building was framed by the tunnel, with enough light coming in to illuminate the walls and features - sombre and baroque and modern and urban all in one shot. And even more intriguing is the pairing of the chairs –one balcony type and the other, incongruously, a comfortable office chair. I have no why they were there or who used them, but they certainly seem too perfectly situated to have been merely dumped. It seems to me that the chairs are happily enjoying the moment, relaxed, peaceful and together – but that may be just my imagination working overtime! Location: Berlin, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment